Reston Master Plan Special Study
February 27, 2010
Langston Hughes Middle School
Welcome from Supervisor Hudgins: 9:05
Overview & Meeting Goals/Structure (9:12)
• Heidi Merkel, Fairfax County Department of Planning & Zoning, presented an overview of the Reston Master Plan Special Study
Herndon’s TOD Future (9:34)
• Kay Robertson, Town of Herndon Department of Community Development, presented an overview of the Town’s planning activities on the north side of the Herndon-Monroe Metro Station
• Questions for Kay re: toll road and coordination between Town of Herndon and Fairfax County.
• Comments included a strong support in the preservation of open space near the transit areas such as plazas and pocket parks etc.
• There were additional questions re: impact on the homes that are located within the ¼ and ½ mile radius.
Breakout Groups (10:00)
• Heidi Merkel briefly described the existing land uses in the Herndon-Monroe area. Participants broke into focus groups to discuss their ideas and opinions on the Herndon-Monroe area.
Report out (11:15)
• Following the group discussions, each focus group reported its significant findings to the larger group.
• The input gathered from this exercise will be transcribed in a separate document.
Next Steps (11:35)
• Heidi Merkel addressed some questions regarding how and when the information will be presented to the Task Force. She announced the cancellation of the March 2nd meeting and confirmed the March 9th Task Force meeting will be held at 7pm in the Lake Anne RCC.
Carter, John Anderson
de la Fe, Frank